Thursday, December 2, 2010

Bullet dodged, dongle ordered

When I was finally able to get back in to my WoW account, I discovered to my amazement that none of my gear or gold was missing. Apparently, someone hacked my account so that they could use it to send spam tells on a random server. The only change to the account was a new level one character with a name like "Dskjsdka" on a server I don't play on (quickly deleted). Many password changes later (g-mail, banking, ect.), everything seems fine. I haven't had any trouble with the account for the past two days, keeping my fingers crossed. In any case, I broke down and ordered a dongle yesterday.

4 comments:

  1. Thank goodness. Glad it worked out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The same thing happened to another person I know! Hmm, now I guess every time I see a level 1 somewhere with a messed up name spamming gold sellers, I'll be feeling sad for the owner of a hacked account :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. The best thing ever happened to me when I let my WoW account lapse for a year and a half. It was hacked, but not to clear out - to farm stuff and spam people.

    When I resubbed and found out the pw was wrong, and reset it - I had a brand new level 70 character, and over 10k gold, and hundreds of quality items on the AH.

    I made out like a bandit. I hope they do it again now that I am letting it lapse for another year =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good news indeed!

    After your experience I decided that I didn't want to use my main email for my user name on battle.net anymore!

    I switched it to a throwaway account with a DIFFERENT PASSWORD than WoW.

    Thanks for the heads up.

    ReplyDelete