Wednesday, September 2, 2026

Looks like I'm headed to Rift

 I got this helpful message* from whoever is running rift these days:



Apparently I have until September 11 to dowload the client and figure out how to log in.  Not that I would automatically assume they really will delete the characters if I miss that deadline.  Regardless, it's enough of a prompt for me to stick my head in this weekend.

Rift for me was always a game that had a lot of potential, but never quite seemed to click for me for more than a month.  Which was strange, becuase there wasn't really anything at all wrong with it.  The one concrete issue I could put my finger on was that the writing in the quests was by and large very generic.  They looked like what a talented amatuer that does programming, or perhaps tech writing,  for their day job would come up with. Not really what someone who writes in some capacity for a living would come up with.  Or perhaps a trully gifted writer given about 1/10 of the time they need.

Despite the fact that whatever time I am about to spend there may be the last evening I play for the rest of my life, I do have some launch era stuff that I assume cannot easilly be replaced.   This also gives the the kernal of an idea for a longer post about the work we will put in to maintain the completely illusionary ownership we have over digital stuff.   At least digital stuff doesn't take up space in my house!

*Also, did you know you can pop a screen capture from the clip board right into Blogger like it's a Power Point or something?  All this time, and it never even occurred to me to try it, derp.  There's half an hour of my life back the next time I post . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment