Saturday, October 24, 2009

Champions Online Career Ends Abrubtly

A few days after starting up Champions Online, my main gaming PC died again. The PC nearly fired up when I let it cool off for an hour. I'll try start it up again tomorrow and hope for the best. However, I suspect that the CO is causing my video card to draw more juice than my power supply can handle, and burns it out if I leave the game running for too long. Certainly CO taxes my system a lot more than the other games I play. If the PC won't start tomorrow, I'll order a bigger power supply and see if that does the trick.

In any case, as I suspect it will be weeks until I get my regular PC going (barring a miraculous recovery tomorrow morning), I'll be blogging about games my backup PC can handle for a while again. DDO, maybe WoW, perhaps Guild Wars or EVE (both games I've long been meaning to try but never go around to). In addition, the console MMOs are finally starting to pop. Borderlands just came out, and I think the decision as to whether I should get it for the 360 or the PC was just made for me. Sony also has some games coming down the pipe that might spur me to get a PS3.

I did try to get in touch with BlueKae and AnjinM in game, just didn't happen to overlap with you guys today. I'm @Yeebo if I ever get going again, glad to know I wasn't the only one using an obvious account name :-)

6 comments:

  1. First, yes you should get Borderlands. Second, sounds like you are in desperate need of an upgrade. Hopefully it's something easy as a power supply.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What horrible luck. I did get your friend invite, by the way. Hope you're able to get your system back on its feet again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Jaydub: The PC that died is fairly new. Reasonably fast quad core, 4 gigs of ram (easily upgradable to 8), and some Nvidia card with a gig of ram. It's either the power supply or the motherboard.

    @Anjin: I like CO a lot, but I won't cry myself to sleep if I can't play it. RL stuff is coming up so that I barely would have been able to log until December in any case. It may be just as well that I'm forced to take a break.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ouch, that is no fun. Hopefully it is just the power supply.

    You can have different names for your account address (i.e. what is shown in-game) and your account.

    The former can be changed if both are the same, not sure if it is easy to do the other way around.

    My handle is the same in CO as in CoX, also rather obvious :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That doesn't sound like a power issue. It really sounds like inadequate cooling.

    Check to make sure all the fans are running properly....especially the cpu fan and the vid card fan.

    If the fans are all running, try running the game with the cover off and a small fan blowing on the system. If everything works, it might be poor contact between the cpu heatsink and the cpu itself. get some thermal paste and re-seat the fan.

    MM

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you have a pretty decent rig then. Any progress on determining what might be wrong with it then?

    ReplyDelete