Sunday, September 1, 2024

On difficulty

In a recent post over at Parallel Context, Redbeard mentioned that he doesn't like playing a "godlike character."  His main point is that he finds it immersion breaking from a story perspective, and I completely agree with that.  However, that and another recent incident in SWTOR got me thinking about difficulty in MMOs more generally. 

There is a difficulty balance a MMO has to hit for me to stay engaged.  I play MMOs mainly to relax, so they can't be too hard.  If I get stressed out whenever I play a game, I won't play it for long.  What I do for a living is engaging and I am lucky, but it also gives me about all the stress I can handle.  At the same time, I also hate it when a MMO is too easy.  If I do something really stupid I deserve to die.  If it's almost literally impossible for me to get killed doing anything I normally do in the game, that feels too easy and kind of pointless.  

For example, the last time I played retail WoW, it was overall way too easy.  It wasn't a total deal breaker for me because I had Classic "right over there" on another server if I wanted it.  However it did mean that I got bored after very short stints doing overland quests when I was in Retail, and actually needed dungeon runs to break them up.  That is a strange way for me to play. Normally running around doing quests and soaking up storylines is my favorite activity in a MMO.  Becasue of this, during my last stay I spent most of my playtime in Classic.  To my tastes Classic gets the difficulty balance just right. Quests are rarely a huge challenge, but if you head into Murloc territory and start pulling solo, or do something similarly reckless, you will end up either going down in a blaze of glory or running for your life.  

EQ II, TSW and a few others with fixed difficulties also manage that tightrope walk using one challenge level for everyone and well balanced classes.  However, for the most part MMOs that get the difficulty "juuuust right" to my tastes are ones where you get to adjust the difficulty yourself.  Some older MMOs, like DAoC and EQ do it indirectly by simply having classes that vary wildly in the situations they can handle well when questing solo.  If I want slow but safe I can pick a melee class with good defense like a Paladin or Shadow Knight.  If I want something faster paced but risky, I can go with a squishy bolt caster like an Eldritch or Wizard.  And so on.  

Another tack that some MMOs have also started playing around  with is letting players actively and directly adjust the difficulty as they play.  For example, SWTOR does this in an really interesting way.  When questing solo you always have a companion out, and you can have your companion act as a healer, a tank or a DPS.  If you set the companion to healer, the game becomes very easy and you really have to go out of your way to get killed doing any but the hardest content.  At the opposite extreme, just normal questing can keep you on your toes if you set your companion to DPS (particularly once you get past the launch era content).  A DPS companion will merrily get killed right alongside you if you overpull. 

The MMO that has taken this to the greatest extreme, at least among ones I am familiar with, is  Dungeons and Dragons Online.  Every quest in the game has a variety of difficulty settings you can choose when you begin the quest.  If you want a challenge, you can crank the difficulty all the way up to Reaper 10 and get one shotted by trash mobs even on a very strong character.  At the opposite extreme, on Casual you could clear most quests with terrible character build while wearing pajamas and using an unenchanted club.  There are 12 difficulty setting in between those, so if you can't dial up the challenge you prefer you just don't know what you are doing.  

Of course DDO is also a weird edge case in a lot of ways.  Due to the extreme flexibility of the character creation system,  PCs can easily vary by close to an order of magnitude in terms of defenses, hit points, and DPS output.  Add to that the ability to create characters that do monstrous damage out to LoS or that do terrible damage outside of melee range, and that can either locate and disarm traps or have to disarm traps by setting them off with their face, and you have a game that nearly necessitates the ability to set your own challenge level. Regardless, DDO does makes me wonder why scalable difficulty isn't a thing in more MMOs.  LotRO, the other game from the same studio, apparently even figured out how to implement a similar system with landscape mobs somehow.  If these two mid-tier games with tiny development teams can figure it out, why isn't everyone doing it?

Beyond my preference for the difficulty of normal content,  another issue is difficulty spikes.  Now some variance in difficulty is to be expected, and an occasional challenge can be a nice way to punctuate major story beats.  That is not what I am talking about.  I am talking about a game that has one range of difficulty for the first 100 hours, and then throws in a random five minute segment that is way way outside of that range.  I am talking about something that feels like a turn based RPG with a Street Fighter II Bison fight jammed randomly into it.  Bonus points if  the difficulty spike involves forcing me to play some NPC with completely different mechanics from my normal character.  Double-triple bonus points if getting through that segment is the only way to progress the main story line.   A few nights ago SWTOR hit me with all of those.  

There is an era of content that has aged poorly compared to most of the game, roughly Knights of the Fallen Empire through the end of the traitor flashpoint arc.*  I have a whole post coming on that content from a personal historical perspective, so I won't go into detail here.  But towards the end of it, there is a fight where you are stuck controlling  a walker instead of your actual character.  This walker has completely different controls from not only your character, but also every other walker in the game.**  After having the difficulty variance of the game pretty much exactly where I enjoyed it for more than 100 straight hours of playtime, this fight kicked my ass for close to a solid hour.  After try five or six, I was so ticked off that I almost rage-quit on the spot.***  

Regardless of any other consideration, I think if there is one golden rule of difficulty it's this:  always give your players what you have trained them to expect.  If a player spends 100+ hours in your game experiencing one range of difficulty, that is the level of difficulty they enjoy.  You can have more challenging content available, but you need to warn them that it's coming and give them a way to avoid it if they wish. In other words, make it completely optional. If your game is lovely path wandering its way through forests, fields and meadows, you can't just have a random brick wall in the middle of it.  Even if you hand players a sledgehammer and say "Just grind your way through this to progress, more lovely sights on the other side!", you will have damaged player trust at best and lost them altogether at worst.  

I am continually baffled to see so many game designers screw up this one thing that seems like common sense.  Now I can certainly think of at least ten reasons why this is easy to do without meaning to.  For example, player skill levels vary, and one player's molehill is another's mountain.  But holy cow, in a live service game when you see a ton of players complaining about something, maybe consider addressing it?

*In fact, there is an option in game that will let you skip all of it just by taking a quest on your ship.  It's never a good sign if that many players need a way to skip a big hunk of your game!  I guess adding the skip option is easier than going back and polishing any of it at this point.  Regardless, on my most recent playthrough, I didn't skip the "Knights of" content because I wanted to see how it played differently if you were dating one of the main characters in it.  I could have skipped that fight at any time, but it would have broken the part of the story I was working on and started me out a few months later assuming choices different from the ones my character would have made. While I don't regret playing it all one more time, I will certainly be using the skip option from here on out.  

**For some insane reason there are actually four different segments where you are forced to play a walker instead of your character in this era of content.  The last one is by far the worst of them, and thankfully the last that they ever did.

***I did get it on try six or seven.  The walker has six abilities.  One ability makes the fight fairly easy.  The other five will get you killed over and over again if you try to use them for anything except filler while you wait on the cooldown for the "good ability."  These abilities exist almost entirely as newb traps in the modern game.  To add to the stupidity of it all, you will never encounter mechanics like this anywhere else in the game.  Some game designer lost their damn mind, a team looked at it and said "This is fine", and it remains in the game to this day.  


6 comments:

  1. Huh, it never occurred to me that the story skips might be there for gameplay reasons. I just know a lot of players hated replaying some of those expansions (for a variety of reasons), so I always figured the skips are there to let people get to new stuff they actually like. I don't recall ever having any major issues with the Iokath droids, though I do think there was a time period where their scaling was broken, which is where I think a lot of those forum complaints came from. And yeah, I'm not a huge fan of these sorts of walker segments either.

    On the general topic of difficulty, I thought it was clever how Classic WoW allowed you to adjust your difficulty by simply choosing mobs of different levels to fight. If you're finding yellow too tough, just downgrade to green. If you want a challenge, seek out enemies that are orange to you.

    While I'm generally a fan of level scaling in general, it does kind of remove that kind of choice. Retail WoW's scaling is funny because it's so heavily and blatantly gear-based, so if you level up faster than you replace your gear, you become weaker and weaker. People are joking about it in the current expansion even now, how for levels 70-73 or so you feel like a god as you enter the new zone in good gear from the last expansion, while 76-79 every fight feels like a slog because you do no damage anymore and take loads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I missed that entire kerfluffle about the the latest expansion in WoW. WoW Classic was practically a masterclass in a lot of aspects of game design. It's so odd to see ostensibly the same studio trip over their feet like they did with the gear scaling in the latest expansion. I read Wilhelm's post about the whole thing right after I put this up, and I was tempted to add a coda referencing it.

      I have two SWTOR posts coming up. They are about why I left and why I'm back, so the first one is a bit whiny :-) But TDLR I think the game is in a great place and I'm looking forward to the future.

      Delete
  2. The longer I play these games, the more I feel the whole connection between combat and narrative is flawed. I began in EverQuest, when there was no "MSQ" style narrative you needed or were encouraged to follow, where killing mobs for xp to level up was the core activity and where one of the key skills of the game was learning to judge which fights were within or beyond your capacity. All of that made sense.

    Now, most MMORPGs don't just include a central narrative, they require you to follow it. Trying to balance that kind of storytelling with challenging combat could indeed be achieved by scaleable or better yet selectable difficulty but really, why is it there at all? Iused to enjoy the combat in these games and Istill do, when it's unrelated to narrative, but if I'm following a story I prefer all the mobs to die in one hit. Ideally, there'd be no fighting at all in the story parts of the game, which is almost how it is in much of Wuthering Waves and makes up a key part of why I enjoy the questing there so much.

    Even so, I rarely take the "Story" difficulty setting in games that offer it because I have some unconsidered expectations that all games "ought" to be played on the default difficulty. That's a personal issue i probably ought to work on because clearly I don't actually enjoy any level of difficulty that leads to even the slightest inconvenience or delay when I'm trying to enjoy a story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have mixed feelings about how storylines and normal content are mixed in modern MMOs. I absolutely love me a good story, and I won't play any MMO that doesn't have one for very long. Even if I'm off killing boars, I want to reason to be doing it!

      At the same time, when teams that secretly aren't very good writers jam too much story into their game, it can start to feel like you are in a very amateurish visual novel. To me the games where it works best are ones where the team seems to know what their strengths are and play well to them, whether it's engaging combat with a just a smidge of story or deep storylines that will make you stop and think.

      Delete
  3. I can honestly say I've never played DDO; the most I know about it is that it's based on Eberron, and that LOTRO and DDO share some of the underlying systems given their origins from Turbine/Standing Stone. I might have to take a peek at it.

    SWTOR... As much as I love that game, I have difficulty playing it due to the companion pathing issues I've experienced. (It's not just me, my kids on their laptops have the same issues where the companions never keep up with you.) And because of it, I dropped playing it around early-mid Fallen Empire. When I get on, I typically only do the "Classic" SWTOR content; well, as much as I can before I can no longer stomach the companion issues.

    But as I mentioned before, I really enjoy the pace of WoW Classic Era. It hits all the right notes for difficulty and pace, and you don't feel like said 'walking god'. That the game also doesn't treat you like some godlike hero is a distinct bonus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah., I agree that WoW Classic really fires on all cylinders for me too. It's a shame I have missed the Lich King era game twice now, since that's the era when the game had the most extensive content in that original style. However I was too upset by things I had read about the studio to contemplate giving them any of my money for most of that year or two.

      As far as DDO goes, you can try it completely for free so it may be worth a look. However, it's not for everyone. It's a fairly obtuse game for a new player, and some of the graphics have aged quite poorly. The moment-to-moment gameplay can also come across a simplistic when you first start, due to the reliance on real time combat instead of tab target and hotbars. That said, as you might guess from all the posts I've done about it I really adore the game. There's nothing else on that market that ticks all the same boxes.

      Delete